Skip to main content

My Permaculture Journey

My Permaculture Journey

 So recently decided I would sell my property in an outer city as I was not doing much or getting anywhere. I was nearly about to rent my apartment out and go live right in the city and do some part time work. This was mainly to cover mortgage payments and rates etc.

Then I looked at the other option more carefully which was to sell my place. The more I looked at this option the better it seems. This has always been a last resort option as I have strong beliefs property can make you money and the longer you can hold it for the better. Mine had made me a little profit over the years but nothing like some people have got in Sydney.

If I sell my place it will leave me around 100k in cash once the mortgage and everything else is covered. Not much for a middle aging guy but better than nothing. I have to make do with what I have. it could possible be another 20-30k if the current property sells for more,

My plan will be to budget for 100k ( I could get more)
  •     Buy Van to drive and live in temporary, budget 10k max
  •     Spend 70k max on property (includes fees etc)
  •     That leaves me 20k in the bank to live on and use for tools, equipment.
The new property must offer at least 10 acres of usable land and with water supplies like a dam, river, creek etc

Over the next 10 years I will create a farm, resort, permaculture centre, dream home on the land. If there is a building I can use to stay in that is ideal but it will not be a deal breaker, The priority is to get the best land I can for the budget. I will live in the van if I have to. I will also create a small building to live in if nothing is there. I will also design and built a home and all the other buildings for my plan. I know authorities will be on my back so I will research them for each area I'm interested in before purchasing. If councils have bad reps It could be a factor in my purchasing decision. You are not usually allowed to live on your land in our nanny state and there are some good reasons like sewerage, rubbish etc. But I will organically organize everything. I may have to find a deep clearing right in the Forrest to live to keep them off my back until I can get proper approved plans etc.

I do have experience in gardening and landscaping which will help. I have also had my own permaculture garden a few years back at my earler home.

Now, the hard part is to work out what land I can use or not, this is where maybe anyone here that knows can help. I have seen some videos on how guys have turned parts of the desert into lush gardens with permaculture but I think some of these have taken years. I don't want to be waiting 10 years+ before I can enjoy it. So will I need to write of dry land or many parts of Australia or could I get some outback rural land that is nothing special and turn it into a productive mini farm in 3 years?

I'm thinking places that are on the NSW north coast and inland to the west, The lower to the south the better but it will depend on prices at the time when I'm ready to buy.

Here are some pictures of the type of land I'm interested in, does this type of dry land look workable in a 3 year time frame? it will have to have some water resources somewhere to create the changes:





this one is a place I really like and seems more lush than the one I posted above plus it is much larger area for the price.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life off the Grid

This blog will be for the purpose of documenting my journey with a plan to be totally self sufficient and to live my life off the grid.   Living near a beautiful beach would be ideal I have loved the idea of living a life remotely and without relying on the comforts of the world. Recently I had a lot of ideas and have decided to start planning for a life off the grid. My basic plan at the moment includes: 3 Year Goals: Within 3 years own a large block of land located near a beach Have designed a plan for a home Have started to build the framework of the property. Can live in the property, even just one room Have a side income of $100 per day The property will have the following features: Offer a Mini Private Resort & Adventure Park for guest and high-end corporate bookings Walking distance to beach, prefer access like boat ramp in backyard Location has lots of fresh sea fishing available Be at least 5 acres, prefe